THIS LEMON HONEY MUSTARD MAKES THE PERFECT DRESSING, SAUCE, OR DIP. MADE WITH ALL NATURAL INGREDIENTS YOU CAN FEEL GOOD TOPPING YOUR SALAD, CHICKEN, OR VEGETABLES WITH IT.
We planted a huge garden this year and to be honest it didn’t go so good. Gardening always seems fun to me early spring but by the end of summer I can’t wait to mow it down. Every year I forget all that goes into gardening: weeding, planting, weeding, picking, weeding, preserving, oh and did I say weeding?
I never have the time to keep up with the garden, yet every year I convince my husband to make it bigger. Maybe when the kids are older I will master gardening but for now someone please remind me to go smaller next year!
My garden is slowly dwindling as summer comes to an end but we are still harvesting tomatoes and squash. And I will be planting some fall crop, such as lettuce and herbs. During the summer months we eat a lot of fresh salads from the garden. Topping it with this lemon honey mustard adds flavor without compromising our health.
LEMON HONEY MUSTARD VIDEO TUTORIAL
STORE BOUGHT DRESSINGS ARE FILLED WITH INGREDIENTS I LIKE TO STAY AWAY FROM
- Soybean oil is likely the first ingredient in any dressing or condiment you pick up off the shelf, unfortunately it is also high up on the list of worst foods to consume. It is found in almost all processed foods and it is commonly genetically modified (unless you are buying a product made with organic ingredients.) Studies have shown that the consumption of vegetable oils is the leading cause of cancer and heart disease.
- You will also find added sugar on your dressing and condiment labels. With all the diet fads circulating (paleo, keto, whole 30, the list goes on) one thing is consistent, sugar is a no go! Sugar is addicting, surpresses the immune system, and the main cause of obesity.
- Artificial dyes and flavors are often added in dressing and condiments as well. Did you know that several other countries have banned red40 food dye?! Research shows that it can cause hyperactivity in children and contains p-Cresidine, which is carcinogen. When certain dyes were tested on mice they caused tumors in the liver and immune system.
Amoung these ingredients you will find others you will want to stay away from. It kills me to smother a healthy dish with a store bought dressing or sauce. But if you are a condiment lover, like myself don’t worry, this lemon honey mustard is a healthy alternative. It makes the best dressing, sauce, and dip that pairs nicely with most meals.
LEMON HONEY MUSTARD INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup avocado mayonnaise
2-3 drops lemon essential oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
LEMON HONEY MUSTARD INSTRUCTIONS
- Put all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Mix until well combined.
- Use immediately or store in a air tight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days.
BENEFITS OF LEMON ESSENTIAL OIL
Lemon essential oil is cold pressed from the peel of a lemon fruit. It is a very versatile oil and one of the most popular essential oils on the market.
- Often added to food to enhance the flavor of desserts, sides, dips, drinks, and main dishes.
- Provides cleansing effects for the body and is good for the digestive system.
- Supports a healthy respiratory function.
- Uplifting oil and gives a natural energy boost.
BENEFITS OF RAW HONEY
I live an hour away from an Amish community and I love visiting them every few months to stock up on raw honey. Better yet, it is local raw honey. I buy it by the gallon because it taste amazing and has so many health benefits.
- Raw honey is a good source of antioxidants.
- It has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties.
- It is great for the digestive tract and for respiratory issues. A spoon full of local raw honey is very soothing for a sore throat and it can help relieve a cough. Add a drop of lemon essential oil to a spoonful of raw honey for a natural cough syrup.
- Honey can counter pollen allergens making it a natural remedy for seasonal allergies.
OUR FAVORITE WAYS TO EAT LEMON HONEY MUSTARD
- ON A SALAD- Add a cup of spring mix and a handful of chopped romaine to a salad bowl. Top with diced tomatoes, onions, avocado, and cucumbers. Sprinkle cheddar cheese over top and drizzle with homemade lemon honey mustard dressing. Add sliced grilled chicken if you want it to be a more sustainable meal.
- WITH CHICKEN- Baked, fried, grilled, or roasted; chicken is delicious when dipped in lemon honey mustard. Therefore, after pulling a roasted chicken from the oven drizzle it with the dressing before serving for added flavor and color.
- FRIES- We own a fry daddy and boy we have fun with it! I fill it with coconut oil, cut fresh potatoes, and fry them. Add salt and a side dish of lemon honey mustard and you will feel like you are having a cheat day. We love eating fired foods in organic coconut oil to make a heathy tasty meal. If you don’t have a frier you can bake sliced potatoes with coconut oil and serve with lemon honey mustard.
- ON A BURGER- I know a cattle farmer that delivers fresh, organic, grass fed meat close by and we take full advantage. I have a deep freezer fully stocked with healthy beef. Grill some burgers, and serve it with sautéed onions and peppers, and a dish of lemon honey mustard dipping sauce.
- WITH VEGGIES- If you have picky kids sometimes it can be hard to get them to eat their vegetables. Most kids will eat anything when they can dip it in ketchup or ranch. Try serving steamed broccoli or carrots with lemon honey mustard for a healthy side to any meal. Or substitute it for ranch in a veggie tray.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Follow along with our oily house:
Thanks for stopping by our oily house!