LEARN HOW TO MAKE THE EASIEST HOMEMADE LOTION BARS WITH ESSENTIAL OILS. THESE BARS ARE PERFECT FOR EVERYONE IN THE FAMILY OR MAKE A PERECT CHRISTMAS GIFT.
I have shared my whipped body butter recipe on the blog already and I am excited to share a similar recipe, with a slight variation. These lotion bars are made with all natural ingredients that are very soothing and nourishing to the skin.
These homemade lotion bars make it easy to use natural products because they are simple to make and use. They keep their shape with the added beeswax, but when rubbed on warm skin they melt slightly, and sooth dry cracked skin.
Perfect for the cold winter months and can be used in the summertime after being out in the sun for a long period of time. Find relief from dry, scratchy skin in areas, like knees, elbows, feet, and hands.
HOMEMADE LOTION BARS VIDEO TUTORIAL
HOMEMADE LOTION BARS INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cocoa butter or shea butter (or you can use a combination of the two)
- 1 cup beeswax
- 15-30 drops of essential oils (optional)
- Silicon molds or metal tins
HOMEMADE LOTION BARS INSTRUCTIONS
- Melt all the ingredients, expect the essential oils, in a double boiler. You can make your own double boiler by placing a glass bowl over a medium size sauce pan.
- Bring the water to a boil until the ingredients are melted.
- Once ingredients are melted, remove the bowl from the heat. Let mixture cool slightly and then add in essential oils.
- Stir well until combined.
- Pour the mixture into silicon molds or metal tins.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely and then pop the bars out of the molds.
- Store in an air tight container for up to one year.
HOMEMADE LOTION BARS NOTES
- This recipe calls for equal parts of each ingredient used, besides the essential oils. You can easily cut this recipe in half or double it to make a larger batch.
- Get creative with the types of mold you decide to use! If you are making these for Christmas gifts you can use Christmas molds and make these bars in the shape of snowmen or snow flakes. Use heart shape molds for Valentines’s day or a mold that has words in it.
- If making in silicon molds store the molds in an airtight container after popping them out of the molds. They will last for up to a year.
- Store out of direct sunlight and in cool room. If your house is above 75 degrees the bars can melt and should be stored in the refrigerator.
HOW TO USE HOMEMADE LOTION BARS
Rub the lotion bar onto the skin where you want to use it. When you rub it on the warm skin it will melt slightly, making it easy to apply. Massage into the skin.
BEST ESSENTIAL OIL BLENDS FOR HOMEMADE LOTION BARS
Frankincense + Yarrow Pom + Rose
Lavender + Roman Chamomile
Frankincense + Melaleuca + Lavender
Lemongrass + Cederwood
ABOUT THE INGREDIENTS HOMEMADE LOTION BARS
- The hype around coconut oil these days is for good reason. You can use it in the kitchen, on your skin, in your hair, and the list goes on.
- Coconut oil is a natural antibacterial, anti-fungal, and an excellent moisturizer for dry skin.
- Fair warning: It makes the lotion smell like chocolate and you may be tempted to eat it! (Don’t worry cocoa butter is editable and used to make delicate chocolates.)
- Cocoa butter is the fat that comes from cocoa beans and it smells absolutely delicious, in my opinion. Cocoa butter naturally moisturizing the skin and heals dry chapped skin.
- With its antiviral, anti-inflammatory, and antibacterial properties this ingredient is essential in fighting against chapped or dry skin. It forms a protective wall by sealing moisture in the skin without clogging up the pores.
- Beeswax is needed in this recipe to allow the lotion bars to keep their shape.
- Several essentials oils can do wonders for skin imperfections and have healing properties.
- I personally like using frankincense and lavender in my lotion bars because of the soothing properties these oils have for the skin.
- See more information on each essential oil below.
ABOUT THE ESSENTIAL OILS HOMEMADE LOTION BARS
- Frankincense is amazing for the skin and can be used as a daily moisturizer. It can reduce blemishes, fine lines, wrinkles, and age spots.
- Frankincense has rejuvenating properties for the skin and is good for dry flaky skin. Use this essential oil when skin is dry or cracked.
- Provides powerful antioxidant support; main constituents include: Punicic acid, β-caryophyllene, chamazulene.
- Yarrow can shrink the skin and promotes healthy skin, especially great for wounds or scars.
- Yarrow is a powerful natural astringents (a substance that causes the contraction of body tissues, typically used to protect the skin and to reduce bleeding from minor abrasions).
- The yarrow plant is an effective natural cicatrisant, which means that it helps to increase blood stimulation and allows the skin cells to regenerate faster.
- Rose essential oil has the ability to regenerate the skin, reduce scars, and help skin regain natural color and tone.
- Studies have shown that even scars that were over 20 years old showedmimprovement after using rose topically on the area of concern.
- Roses are high in vitamin C and encourages your body to produce more collagen.
- It is very balancing and nourishing for the skin.
- Lavender reduces the appearance of skin imperfections and it can soothe occasional skin irritations.
- It can also help sooth and heal burns. Making it a great essential oil to add into the lotion bar if using during the summer after long sun exposure.
- Lavender is a very soothing and relaxing oil that can calm the nervous system. Add this into the lotion bar and use before bed, especially on kids, to help wind down and promote a healthy night sleep.
- Another essential oil that has amazing properties for the skin is Roman chamomile. This floral oil is gentle and a great option if making this for a baby or child.
- Roman chamomile pairs well with lavender and together makes a calming lotion bar that can be used as part of the bedtime routine.
- With its antibacterial, anti-fungal, and antiviral properties, melaleuca is a great essential oil for the skin.
- The melaleuca oil makes this lotion bar effective for things such as, yeast, fungal infection, and discolored nails.
- Apply topically to area of concern until the problem is resolved.
LEMONGRASS AND CEDERWOOD
- These two essential oils would make a perfect blend if you are making the homemade lotion bars for a man.
- Lemongrass and cedarwood essential oil gives the lotion a woodies citrus smell perfect for men.
- Lemongrass and cedarwood are also great for hair and skin.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! Make a few extras for the perfect stocking stuffer or birthday gift.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission with no extra cost to you.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Follow along with our oily house:
Thanks for stopping by our oily house!
PRINT THE RECIPE HOMEMADE LOTION BARS
Homemade Lotion Bars
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup cocoa butter or shea butter
- 1 cup beeswax
- 15-30 drops essential oil (optional)
Melt all the ingredients, expect the essential oils if using, in a double boiler. You can make your own double boiler by placing a glass bowl over a medium size sauce pan.
Bring the water to a boil until all the ingredients are melted.
Remove the bowl from the heat and let cool slightly before adding in essential oils.
Stir well until well combined.
Pour the mixture into silicon molds or metal salve tins, whatever you prefer to use.
Let the mixture to cool completely and then pop the bars out of the molds.
Store in an air tight container for up to one year.